Sweet Pongal Recipe
Sweet pongal is a sweet festive dish made with rice and moong lentils, flavored with cardamoms, dry fruits & ghee.
Preparation Time:10 Mins
Cook Time: 30 Mins
Total Time: 40 Mins
Cuisine: South Indian, Tamil Nadu
- 1/2 cup raw rice
- 1/4 cup moong dal
- 3 cups water
- 10 whole cashews broken
- 1 tbsp raisins
- 2 nos cardamom
- 1 tiny pinch edible camphor
- 2 tbsp + 2 tsp A1 SKC cow ghee
FOR JAGGERY SYRUP:
- 3/4 cup heaped jaggery
- 1/3 cup water
- Add jaggery and water to a pan, boil it dissolves completely.Set aside.
- Crush cardamom and edible camphor together and set aside.Dry roast moong dal until golden.
- Add it to rice, rinse well drain and add it to pressure cooker.Add water and pressure cook for 5 whistles in low medium flame.Let the pressure release by itself.
- Once pressure releases, open and mash it well.Strain and add jaggery syrup.
- Mix well and let it boil in sim to thicken.
- Add cardamom powder,mix well then add ghee.Mix well and cook in low flame.
- Heat A1 SKC cow ghee in a pan - add cashews first fry until golden then add raisins and let it bubble up.Fry until golden brown.Add it to pongal, mix well.Switch off.
- Serve hot with A1 SKC pure ghee drizzled.
- We used paagu velam to get the dark brown color. You can use normal jaggery too.
- Pressure cooking time of rice depends on the variety of rice so adjust accordingly. New rice needs little lesser water whereas old rice requires more.
- Pongal gets thicker in consistency after cooling down so switch off accordingly. If it get dry, while serving add little A1 SKC cow ghee and milk.
A1 SKC Cow Ghee Wishing that this festival brings good luck and prosperity and hoping that it is joyous, and fills your days ahead with happiness. Have a wonderful Pongal.